Questions Answered on 2019 IRS Tax Refund Dates and Status

There are many options for checking the status of your federal/state tax refund, and refund date. Here is information about doing so and more regarding filing 1040 tax returns.

Can I Expect a Delayed Refund?

New security measures have been implemented by the IRS. These may cause delays this year, but the added security is expected to decrease tax fraud. The IRS now requires online tax websites to include identity verification. This ensures you are who you say you are, by answering questions and using stronger passwords. The agency is also issuing more tax refunds in the form of paper checks, even to those who request direct deposit.

What Should I Do if the Refund Is Lower?

Refunds may be adjusted, or offset, by the Treasury Offset Program (TOP). Run by Financial Management Services (FMS), the program authorizes federal and state government agencies to acquire any outstanding debts from federal tax refunds. A refund can be offset to pay federal non-tax debts such as student loan repayments, unpaid child support, state income tax debts, and state unemployment compensation debts.

When Is the Offset Process Implemented?

You refund is verified by the IRS, to the FMS, but the FMS will then conduct the offset process before it sends the direct deposit refund to you. Although an offset reduces your tax refund amount, it does not delay the refund, if anything is left after the funds are taken out.

Will I Be Notified of an Offset?

The FMS will mail you a notice. It will include the original refund amount and the amounts that were deducted. The agency any offset payment was sent to will be named, and their contact information will be included as well.

If I Have Past Debt, How Do I Go About Filing My Tax Return?

Non-tax debts can be dealt with by contacting the agency that you owe to. You’ll find out if that agency notified the TOP of your debts, before it offsets your refund.

Can an Offset Be Disputed?

If you don’t think you owe the tax debt indicated, you must contact the agency that received the offset. Don’t contact the IRS or FMS. Instructions on how to contact the appropriate parties should be included on the notice you receive.

Who Do I Contact Regarding My Offset?

The Treasury Offset Program Call Center can be contacted at (800) 304-3107.


You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *